Need to make a quick, healthy, and delicious snack for your next girls night in? Then we’ve got just the thing for you — and don’t worry, it’s much more exciting than your typical buffalo wings and celery sticks. The key to a good snack is finding the right balance between healthful and indulgent. And luckily, our Cauliflower Bacon and Cheese Fritters do just that. For this recipe, we blended nutrient-rich cauliflower with crispy bacon and cheddar cheese for a dish that’s just the right amount of healthy and savory. Impress your dinner party guests with the winning combination by following the recipe below.
- 14 oz. cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 3 side bacon, rind removed, finely chopped
- 7 oz. milk
- 2 oz. butter, diced
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 oz. vintage cheddar, coarsely grated, plus extra (finely grated), to serve
- 2 Tbsp. chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika, plus extra to serve
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss cauliflower with oil and thyme, season to taste, and roast, turning occasionally, until golden (35 to 45 minutes). Set aside and let cool.
- Fry bacon in a frying pan over medium heat until crisp (four to five minutes). Drain on paper towels.
- Combine milk, butter, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer. Whisk in flour and stir until mixture pulls away from the sides of the pan (one to two minutes). Cool for five minutes, then add eggs one at a time, beating well to combine between additions. Cover directly with plastic wrap and cool completely, then stir in cauliflower, bacon, cheese, chives, and paprika.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or deep saucepan to 350 F, then deep-fry heaped tablespoonfuls of mixture, turning occasionally, until golden and cooked through (four to five minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit).
- Drain on paper towels, then transfer to a serving platter. Scatter with extra cheese, lemon rind, paprika, and sea salt, and serve with lemon wedges.
This recipe originally appeared on our sister site, Gourmet Traveller.