Prince Harry is finally back in touch with his brother and father after he and his wife Meghan Markle sat down with Oprah Winfrey earlier this month in a bombshell interview. They discussed their last few years in the royal family and why they ultimately chose to leave their official duties and settle in the United States.
Harry didn’t mince words during his initial chat with Oprah, explaining that his father, Prince Charles, had at one point stopped taking his calls. He also alluded to a rift between him and his brother William.
According to CBS This Morning anchor and Oprah BFF Gayle King, lines of communication have opened back up again between Harry and the two, but he told her that the conversations “were not productive.” That said, both Harry and Meghan were reportedly “glad they had begun a dialogue with the royal family and that they want the family to heal.” King also noted that no members of the royal family have reached out to the Meghan since the interview took place.
The royal family has largely remained mum on the subject since the revealing primetime interview on March 7. Queen Elizabeth issued a statement days after the program but hasn’t spoken up since. “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” she said at the time. “The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”
Shortly thereafter, William commented at an event that they were “very much not a racist family” but failed to elaborate on what that meant. Charles has not released public remarks on the interview or Harry’s assertions that he didn’t support the pair when their situation grew more desperate.
While it looks like it’s going to take some time for the family to make amends, at least they’re back in contact and trying to work through their differences together.