Turmeric, the golden spice, is something you might be familiar with if you’re a fan of Indian cooking, but did you know it is also a potent beauty powerhouse? While it might be hard to imagine that the mustard-colored spice has anything to do with skincare, it’s actually used to combat hyperpigmentation, or darkening of the skin.
Whether you’re dealing with age spots, dark circles around the eyes, or acne scars, dark marks can appear on the skin and mess with your self-esteem. And sure, there are bleaching agents and creams out there that you could use to lighten up those marks, but why spend all that money and use chemical-laden products when an all-natural and inexpensive beauty treatment sits right in your kitchen cabinet?
Making a DIY turmeric treatment for dark marks is really simple. All you need is two ingredients — turmeric and lemon juice — and that’s it! It’s believed that a compound found in turmeric called curcumin is behind turmeric’s anti-hyperpigmentation properties. One study showed that turmeric helped to decrease hyperpigmentation by up to 14 percent in as little as four weeks. What’s more, lemon juice is also hailed as a potent skin brightener because of its citric acid content, which has shown to fade dark spots over time.
So if you’re ready to kick raccoon eyes to the curb or fade age spots, here’s how to make a DIY turmeric treatment for dark spots.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric with the juice of one lemon in a small bowl or mini mason jar until they form a smooth paste.
- Using a cotton swab or round, apply some of the paste to your dark spots. If you’re using this for under-eye circles, be careful to avoid contact with the eye. Lemon juice will burn!
- Leave the mixture on for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Repeat this process at least twice a week for best results.
- Paste can be saved in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
There you have it. There’s no need to go out and spend your hard-earned cash on expensive beauty products to remove stubborn dark spots. We hope you enjoy your new, flawless skin!
This article originally appeared on our sister site, Woman’s World.